In This Section:
FRESH Program FAQ
Table of Contents
- What should I keep in mind as I apply for externships?
- Are there connection opportunities in every state? How about internationally?
- Can I apply if I am an international student?
- What if I don’t find an opportunity near my geographic location over break?
- Can I get more than one externship?
- As an upperclassman, how can I participate in FRESH?
What should I keep in mind as I apply for externships?
- Some sponsors can only take one student while others can take more.
- The more externships you choose in Round 1, the more likely you are to be matched.
- Popular medical/financial externships fill up fast! Keep an open-mind as you apply.
- Round 2 submissions are automatically matched! Don’t hit submit unless you can commit!
Are there connection opportunities in every state? How about internationally?
While we work hard each year to market the program to alumni in a variety of geographic locations of interest to students, we don’t always get all of them to participate. We do get a wide variety of career fields and specialties that are available both in the U.S. and worldwide, so there is likely something available for everyone who applies. If you can’t travel, consider applying for phone/Skype information interview opportunities in fields of interest.
Can I apply if I am an international student?
International Students are eligible for any opportunity in the program as long as the sponsor has not indicated on the listing a special requirement for U.S. citizenship. These are not paid experience opportunities like internships, so they do not have any visa requirements.
What if I don’t find an opportunity near my geographic location over break?
First of all, don’t let location restrict you! While it is true that you will have to pay for and arrange your own travel to the opportunity, you could do one of two things:
- Look for locations where you might be able to do a flight stop over as you travel back to Cornell, where you could stay with a relative, or where you could stay with the family of a Cornell friend, or
- Apply for opportunities that are phone/Skype information interviews only. You won’t have to travel to the sponsor’s location and you can still learn a lot about their organization, career field, and gain their advice!
Can I get more than one externship?
Yes. If you get matched with an externship in Round 1, you can apply to be matched again in Round 2. Be sure to only apply for externships in Round 2 that do not conflict in terms of date(s) and time with your Round 1 match.
As an upperclassman, how can I participate in FRESH?
- Attend FRESH walk-in hours; see Round 2 Important Dates and Deadlines.
- Begin a Round 2 checklist.
- Complete the online orientation (if you participated in the Extern Program, you will not need to repeat this step).
- Submit up to two applications – remember, don’t submit if you can’t commit!