In This Section:
Information Interview Tips
Keep the following guidelines in mind to assure successful interviews:
- Always make an appointment. This puts your conversation on a business-like basis and helps to eliminate interruptions.
- Send a resume in advance only if requested, but be prepared to provide a copy at the meeting if asked.
- Practice in advance to help you make a good first impression.
- Learn everything you can about the person, the organization, and the field. Prepare questions that show you have done your homework. Plan a manageable agenda.
- Bring your written questions, your resume, and any other materials suggested when making the appointment.
- Dress professionally (if the interview is in person).
- Be attentive and enthusiastic.
- Maintain good posture and eye contact.
- Take notes during the meeting.
- Always ask for names of additional people whom you should contact.
- Respect the person’s time and end after the agreed-upon length of time.
- Thank the contact for his/her time and information.
- Follow up and maintain contact as appropriate.