In This Section:
Selection committees want to award money to candidates who will use it well. A project proposal or plan of study is often required when a fellowship allows flexibility on how and where awards will be spent.
The project proposal or plan of study is an academic proposal describing:
- a concrete plan of study or research
- your goals
- the facilities or program that will provide you with the means to achieve those goals
- an elaboration of how qualified you are to achieve those goals
- a statement describing how your plans for the fellowship fit in with your personal and professional goals
Shaping your project
A strong proposal or plan is well-researched and shows an awareness of current activity in the field. To make sure that your project makes sense for the program or place you have targeted, consult with:
- facility or academic department you are interested in
- professors in your field of interest
- people who have actually studied in the program or place you are targeting
- people who have carried out similar projects or programs of study
Be sure to show your essay to a faculty advisor in your field before you send off a final version.