In This Section:
Increase your interview success by following these guidelines.
- Make sure your hair is clean and neat. Men should be clean shaven or have facial hair neatly trimmed.
- Check fingernails to ensure they’re clean. Wear only neutral shades of nail polish.
- Make sure your shoes are clean, polished, and in good condition.
- Practice good hygiene and avoid heavy use of cologne, perfume, and strongly scented body products such as after-shave or deodorant.
- Wear clothes that make you feel confident.
- Coordinate your belt and shoe colors.
- Remove body piercings and cover tattoos.
- Use a breath freshener, if necessary.
- Wear neutral hosiery with skirts.
- Smoke just before an interview.
- Wear revealing clothes.
- Wear white socks.
- Wear excessive make-up.
- Wear too much jewelry (i.e., more than two items).
- Wear open-toed shoes/sandals.
- Chew gum or candy.